Saturday 7 July 2007

Live Earth

I must admit to being a bit sceptical about this Live Earth concert. Immense power usage in the stadium, travel for the bands and their people, and not to mention the fans, would seem to be a funny way to contribute to slowing down climate change. But the combination of the music and the Live Earth pledges being flashed behind the bands was a powerful one. I hope the message gets through to people like my council. I have a recycling box, but I can't recycle plastic or cardboard in it. The only facilities that I know of to recycle my cardboard is at the council tip, which I don't go to as I don't drive. I get a friend to recycle my plastic bottles for me, as there is a facility for recycling them on a supermarket car park near their house. But what about all the other plastic? I hate to think of it all going to landfill, polluting the Earth for future generations.
Anyway, back to the concert. The Pussycat Dolls, from what I saw, consist of some women singing and doing what appeared to be a routine that, up til now, I thought only strippers or lapdancers would do. They had put their make-up on with shovels and seemed to have mistakenly appeared onstage in their underwear.
The Foo Fighters were awesome. Blistering lyrics and guitar juxtaposed with Dave Grohl's voice, sometimes raw, often melodic, was as close to a religious experience as you can get sitting on your sofa.
Madonna was, ahem, interesting. Scarily thin, her voice seemed to be struggling and her attempt to rock across the stage in a pair of high heels with her guitar was ludicrous. She also seemed to have got all her choir girls and boys from a Victorian timewarp. Boys in short trousers and long socks and fresh-faced, angelic girls are not the kids I remember from my school choir. In fact, the only reason to be in the choir was to get out of a science or humanities period. Consequently, a lot of us choir girls and boys ended up parents at tender ages, owing to missing crucial sex education lessons.
To top it all off, Madonna had some weird old Romany gypsies warbling and dancing to a completely different song than everyone else. A bizarre choice of songs did nothing to help her set, and it all ended up looking far too Eurovision for my taste.
Clare xxx

5 comments:

emma said...

I feel a bit ambiguous towards the whole Live earth thing too. Saw the red hot chili peppers and Duran Duran - the best bit wsa the chap from It's not easy being green asking Jonathan Ross to stop talking about his facial hair and start talking about what the whole event was meant to be about. I turned off after that. You're right about the recycling thing too - I reckon if we could recycle the plastic too we wouldn't have a scrap of waste. shame that the council don't collect it along with the other stuff. And I'm all for the empty the bins once a fortnight . We have to use the earth's resources more sparingly.

emma said...

When i say ambiguous - I mean ambivalent! Doh!

my-inspirations said...

I missed it as had a busy Saturday for a change, normally i'm bored outta me head at home, typical ain't it when the Foo's were there! I LOVE them sooo much, been watching em on you tube and yes they were amazing...
Thanks for your comments about the whole school yard thingy...great tips there..lol as well as i like it when it rains to hide under an umbrella.
You do a fine job on your blog,well done and keep it up!

Leigh P said...

I made an effort not to watch what is being called 'Gore Aid' as, like you, I questioned the energy use and wastage behind an event that was promoting environmental concerns.

Felt it more a farce than serious message as people have forgotten the message and just remember the bands featured.

Leigh...aka RadioMan.

klahanie said...

Hi Clare-
I can't really comment on the 'Live Earth' concert' because I didn't watch it. I thought the best thing to do was to conserve energy and leave the flippin' television off. ( note the irony)
I have been doing my bit in relation to 'saving the earth' long before it was in fashion to jump on the 'bandwagon'.
So before I turn off my computer; I just wanted to say to you Clare. Continued success in your writing exploits. I wish you well. Or as you say: "Don't look back in anger"
Kind regards adanac67 ( a man challenging his 'inner-critic')